All doctors have to register with the Irish Medical Council before they can work in Ireland. Depending on where you trained and gained your experience, there are different routes on how you apply for registration with the Irish Medical Council.

See to check for your eligibility to register.

Nurses and midwives

The Nursing and Midwifery Board of Ireland (NMBI) maintains the Register of Nurses and Midwifes in Ireland. All nurses and midwives have to register with NMBI before they can work in Ireland. Visit to find out if you are eligible to become a nurse or midwife in Ireland.

Health and social care professionals

CORU is the regulator for health and social care professionals. If you are a member of the following professions, you are required to register with CORU: Dietitians, Dispensing Opticians, Medical Scientists, Occupational Therapists, Optometrists, Physical Therapists, Physiotherapists, Podiatrists, Radiographers, Radiation Therapists, Social Workers, Speech and Language Therapists. This list of professions regulated by CORU will expand over time.

See to find more.

Professional bodies

A number of other careers are regulated by their own professional bodies. For example:

Dentists – Irish Dental Council

Pharmacists – Pharmaceutical Society of Ireland

Psychologists – The Psychological Society of Ireland

Counselling and Psychotherapy – Irish Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (IACP) and Irish Council for Psychotherapy (ICP)

Orthoptics – The Irish Association of Orthoptists