Am I allowed to work in Ireland, and what is the process to begin work in the Irish health service?

European Economic Area (EEA) Nationals

Work permits, visas, and authorizations are not required for EEA and Citizens of the EU including Iceland, Norway and Lichtenstein, Switzerland and the UK. Therefore, citizens can live and work in Ireland without an employment permit. For details, please refer to  Coming from the EU/EEA to work (

Non-European Economic Area applicants

If you are from a country outside of the EEA, Switzerland and the UK, you need a permit and visa to live and work in Ireland. For details, please refer to Welcome to EPOS (

I am a refugee. Can I work in the health service?

The HSE welcomes applications from suitably qualified Non-EEA Nationals that have refugee status.

For Doctors, Nurses and Midwives and Health and Social Care Professionals

All professionals stated above are welcome to apply post their registration with relevant Irish bodies. For more information, please visit:

Medical Council – Registration

NMBI – Nursing and Midwifery Board of Ireland home

Home – Coru

Health and Social Care Professionals


CORU is the regulator for health and social care professionals. You are required to register with CORU if you are a member of the following professions: dietitians, dispensing opticians, medical scientists, occupational therapists, optometrists, physical therapists, physiotherapists, podiatrists, radiographers/radiation therapists, social workers, speech and language therapists.

Other professional bodies

The following careers are regulated as follows:


•Dentists – Irish Dental Council

•Pharmacists – Pharmaceutical Society of Ireland

•Psychologists Psychological Society of Ireland (PSI)

•Clinical Measurement Physiology – Irish Institute of Clinical Measurement Physiology

•Clinical Biochemistry – The Association of Clinical Biochemists in Ireland (ACBI)

•Clinical Engineering – The Biomedical / Clinical Engineering Association of Ireland (BEAI)


•Clinical Perfusion Science – The College of Clinical Perfusion Scientists of Great Britain and Ireland

•Counselling and Psychotherapy:

Irish Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (IACP)

Irish Council for Psychotherapy (ICP)

•Medical Physics – The Irish College for Physicists in Medicine (ICPM)

•Orthoptics – The Irish Association of Orthoptists

•Phlebotomy – Phlebotomists Association of Ireland (PAI)